|Long Island City, NY (June 21, 2022) – Finishing Trades Institute of New York will conduct a recruitment from August 16, 2022, through August 29, 2022, for 50 Painter, Decorator, and Paperhanger apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.|
Applications can be obtained, in person only, from Finishing Trades Institute of New York, 45-15 36th Street, Long Island City, NY, from 9:00 a.m. to 3: 30 p.m., Monday through Friday, during the recruitment period. This is limited-application recruitment. Only 500 applications will be distributed, on a first-come, first-served basis. The recruitment will be offered for 10 business days or until 500 applications have been issued, whichever comes first.
The Committee requires that applicants:
• Must be at least 18 years old.
• Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as GED or TASC). Proof of high school diploma or equivalent will be required at the time of enrollment in the apprenticeship.
• Must be physically able to perform the work of a painter, decorator, or paperhanger as determined by site evaluations and personal statements (more information will be provided during a mandatory orientation).
• Must take a drug test prior to enrollment in apprenticeship and random throughout the apprenticeship program, at the expense of the sponsor.
• Must be able to read, hear, and understand instructions and warnings in English.
• Must sign an affidavit attesting to:
◦ Lifting and carrying material and equipment up to 70 pounds.
◦ Working from ladders, scaffolds, lifts, and suspended scaffolds.
For further information, applicants should contact the Finishing Trades Institute of New York at (718) 937-7440. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).