Letter to the Editor – NYS Senator Mike Gianaris
December 13, 2011
Last week, we scored a major victory for progressive values. Together we proved that government works best when it listens to all the people, not just the 1%.
Working with Governor Cuomo, we passed a bold and innovative economic plan that will create jobs, strengthen our economy, reduce unemployment in urban communities and enact a fairer, more progressive tax code.
Finally, the Senate Republicans abandoned their usual stall tactics and caved in to the pressure from you, the people of New York.
Together with your help this year, we held the GOP Majority's feet to the fire and forced them to act on critical progressive legislation they have long opposed. We passed marriage equality, extended rent control and just last week, enacted a more equitable tax code that lifts up working class New Yorkers and ensures everyone pays their fair share.
Fittingly, I noticed the Senate Republican leadership recently endorsed Mitt Romney for President. This makes sense since they clearly embrace his flip-flopping technique. Truth is: you just can't trust that what Senate Republicans promise in order to get elected is what they'll actually do when governing, and New Yorkers know when we're being hoodwinked.
So let's keep the pressure on and see if we can't get the Senate Republicans to flip-flop on a few more key issues that New Yorkers overwhelmingly support:
- Let's pass independent redistricting and let voters truly pick their elected representatives.
- Let's protect a woman's right to choose and access to reproductive health care.
- Let's immediately set up our mandated state health care exchange so we ensure everyone has access to quality health care.
- Let's safeguard the water we drink and the air we breathe for future generations.
- Let's keep our streets safe and protect our law enforcement with common sense gun control.
- Let's continue our fight in 2012 to take back the Senate and truly restore New York's legacy of progressive activism, advocacy and leadership. Join us!