September 16, 2015
By Steve Wishnia and Neal Tepel
The Connecticut Labor Department recovered more than $6.1 million in wages workers had been cheated out of during the fiscal year that ended June 30, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Sept. 6.
State Labor Commissioner Sharon Palmer said that figure includes almost $1.5 million for more than 2,300 workers whose employers wouldn’t pay them, almost $800,000 for workers who weren’t paid minimum wage or overtime, and more than $1.6 million for workers at public contract construction sites who got less than the legal prevailing wage. The recovery effort "reflects the importance we place on protecting our state's workforce, as well as law-abiding employers,” Malloy said in a statement. Read more